Recipe by Dissie
Not really sure where this recipe came from, but I have been making it for years and its the only dressing my family likes.
- 12 ounces fresh sliced button mushrooms (or less depending on how much you like mushrooms.)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup olive oil, for sauteeing vegetables
- 1 lb pork sausage (breakfast sage flavored is best)
- 2 (14 ounce) bags seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon luzianne cajun seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute mushrooms, green bell peppers, onion and celery in butter or olive oil until veggies are done or translucent.
- Brown sausage, crumbling while browning.
- Add sauteed veggies to meat and place in large bowl.
- Add 1 bag of bread crumbs to mixture and stir.
- Pour 4 cans of chicken broth on top of mixture. You want a moist mixture but not runny or dry. If it seems too moist, add more bread crumbs. I usually use about 1 1/2 bags of seasoned bread crumbs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, add the sage and luzianne cajun seasoning. Luzianne seasoning to gives it a nice spicier taste. Omit if you don't like spice. Its not hot though!
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan sprayed with oil. Bake at 350 degrees until top is browned, around 30-45 minutes.