1 hr 30 mins
Not really sure where this recipe came from, but I have been making it for years and its the only dressing my family likes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces fresh sliced button mushrooms (or less depending on how much you like mushrooms.)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/4 cup olive oil, for sauteeing vegetables
- 1 lb pork sausage (breakfast sage flavored is best)
- 2 (14 ounce) bags seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon luzianne cajun seasoning
- 1Saute mushrooms, green bell peppers, onion and celery in butter or olive oil until veggies are done or translucent.
- 2Brown sausage, crumbling while browning.
- 3Add sauteed veggies to meat and place in large bowl.
- 4Add 1 bag of bread crumbs to mixture and stir.
- 5Pour 4 cans of chicken broth on top of mixture. You want a moist mixture but not runny or dry. If it seems too moist, add more bread crumbs. I usually use about 1 1/2 bags of seasoned bread crumbs.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste, add the sage and luzianne cajun seasoning. Luzianne seasoning to gives it a nice spicier taste. Omit if you don't like spice. Its not hot though!
- 7Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan sprayed with oil. Bake at 350 degrees until top is browned, around 30-45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Midwestern U.S. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Midwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Sausage Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.3
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 72.3 mg
- Sodium 2867.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 28.7 g