Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This goes really well over steak, and the secret ingredient is an Aussie favourite! I am posting as written, but do not add salt, I added pepper and just a little extra water, you may need to thin this down if you prefer but you may not need it.... I just wanted it a bit runnier.
- 44.37 ml butter
- 1 onion, large, sliced thinly
- 473.18 ml mushrooms, sliced
- 9.85 ml cornflour
- 236.59 ml water
- 9.85 ml vegemite
- 29.58 ml tomato sauce
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 9.85 ml grainy mustard
- Heat the butter in a pan and saute the onion for 5 minutes or until onion's are soft. Add the mushrooms and cook a further 2 minutes. Blend the cornflour with a little of the water and add to the pan with remaining water, Vegemite, sauces and mustard. Stir over a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Pour over steaks for serving.
UMMMM! This was a very tasty addition to our minute steaks. My German mom used to use a liquid seasoning called Maggi that has a similar taste to the Marmite. It is available in the States, so that's what I'll use the next time I make this yummy steak sauce. Thanks, Tis!
Steak, what steak? I would happily eat this amazing sauce on toast for breakfast or straight out of the pan, which I did tonight. I wanted the sauce a little runny, so used 1 teaspoon of cornflour and maybe two-thirds of a cup of water, but followed everything else. Served over pork steaks and baked potatoes. Absolutely wonderful.