Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Packed with mushrooms and goats' cheese and served with a sun-dried cranberry, green peppercorn, port and red wine sauce, these tasty parcels taste as good as they look.
- 6 ounces butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces round slices goat cheese
- 1 lb premade puff pastry
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
For the sauce
- 18 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves, bruised
- 4 teaspoons green peppercorns in brine, drained and lightly crushed
- 10 fluid ounces port wine
- 7 fluid ounces red wine
- 4 ounces sun-dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons single cream
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Place the vegetable stock for the sauce into a pan and boil rapidly until it has reduced by half; Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and saute gently for five minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to saute for 5-8 minutes, until the mushrooms release their moisture.
- Tip into a colander and set over a bowl to drain and go cold; season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into eight 8 inch squares; trim the edges neatly (You may have some pastry left over.).
- Place a slice of cheese on each square of pastry and top each one with the mushroom mixture.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg and then bring the opposite corners together over the top of the filling to make a square parcel - Pinch the edges together well to seal and then crimp each edge to give them a nice finish.
- Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the parcels on two lightly buttered baking trays and brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, heat the oil in a small pan, add the shallot and saute until soft.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, reduced vegetable stock, port and wine and boil until reduced by two-thirds to about 250ml/8fl oz.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a clean pan, bring back to the boil and add the cream.
- Leave to simmer gently until slightly thickened.
- Add the cranberries to the sauce at the last minute.
- Check seasoning and serve with mushroom parcel.