1 hr 15 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
Packed with mushrooms and goats' cheese and served with a sun-dried cranberry, green peppercorn, port and red wine sauce, these tasty parcels taste as good as they look.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces butter
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 lbs mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces round slices goat cheese
- 1 lb premade puff pastry
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
For the sauce
- 18 fluid ounces vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves, bruised
- 4 teaspoons green peppercorns in brine, drained and lightly crushed
- 10 fluid ounces port wine
- 7 fluid ounces red wine
- 4 ounces sun-dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons single cream
- 1Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- 2Place the vegetable stock for the sauce into a pan and boil rapidly until it has reduced by half; Set aside.
- 3Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and saute gently for five minutes until soft.
- 4Add the mushrooms and continue to saute for 5-8 minutes, until the mushrooms release their moisture.
- 5Tip into a colander and set over a bowl to drain and go cold; season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 6Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into eight 8 inch squares; trim the edges neatly (You may have some pastry left over.).
- 7Place a slice of cheese on each square of pastry and top each one with the mushroom mixture.
- 8Brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg and then bring the opposite corners together over the top of the filling to make a square parcel - Pinch the edges together well to seal and then crimp each edge to give them a nice finish.
- 9Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- 10Place the parcels on two lightly buttered baking trays and brush with the remaining beaten egg.
- 11Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until crisp and golden.
- 12Meanwhile, for the sauce, heat the oil in a small pan, add the shallot and saute until soft.
- 13Add the thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, reduced vegetable stock, port and wine and boil until reduced by two-thirds to about 250ml/8fl oz.
- 14Strain through a fine sieve into a clean pan, bring back to the boil and add the cream.
- 15Leave to simmer gently until slightly thickened.
- 16Add the cranberries to the sauce at the last minute.
- 17Check seasoning and serve with mushroom parcel.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Parcels With Sun-Dried Cranberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.1
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 323.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green peppercorns in brine