Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a wonderful meatless meal or a vegetable side dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 box cheddar cheese crouton (3 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion until mushrooms are golden and juices evaporate.
- Stir in mushroom soup and mayonnaise.
- Add thyme, salt, and pepper, blend well.
- Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with no-stick cooking spray.
- Place croutons in bottom and up sides of dish.
- Spread mushroom mixture over croutons.
- In small bowl beat eggs and milk.
- Pour over casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove cover sprinkle with cheese and bake@350 uncovered about 50-60 minutes until golden and bubbling in center.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Serves 10.