Recipe by Boomette
A recipe from the Taste of Home cookbook. It's very yummy. It can be made in the crockpot but I made it on the stove-top. You can add some bell pepper and other veggies to make it chunkier.
Top Review by jessiethebestie
Delicious sauce, will become my standard recipe! I tripled the recipe to put some away in the freezer for future use, and the only alteration I did was add a head of garlic...couldn't quite believe garlic wasn't already called for, but it's not quite Italian if there's not garlic in it. I rate the recipe as written, but this was 5 stars when I was done. People were eating it with no noodles by the end of the night lol.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90 % lean)
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and sauce, broth, parsley, brown sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stovetop mushroom-beef spaghetti sauce : Prepare as directed in step 1. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.