Recipe by Sherries1970
We made this soup in culinary school. I happen to think it's awesome and very easy to make. This is a good soup to make on a cold winter day.
- 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces clarified butter (melted butter with liquid removed from milky portion)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces white mushrooms, cut into pieces
- 4 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup barley, cooked to package directions
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 1 tablespoon chicken base or 1 bouillon cube
- 1 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stock pot add clarified butter and flour.
- Combine to make a"wet sand" consistency and let cook on medium low for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- The color of the mixture should be a blonde color--creamy with a very light tan shade.
- Add chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Continue stirring until mixture becomes thick and coats the back of a spoon well (about 20 minutes).
- Add mushroom pieces and heavy cream.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a saucepan combine crimini mushrooms, onions, carrots and celery with 2 T butter.
- Saute until the moisture is released from the mushrooms and they start to shrink slightly.
- Strain and add mushroom mixture to the stock mixture.
- Add cooked barley and chicken base/boullion cube and stir.
- Let simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add the additional cup of heavy cream as needed and stir.