Recipe by Manami
These knife-and-fork club sandwiches rearrange all the elements of a classic hearty breakfast - runny fried over-easy eggs, whole wheat toast or English Muffin and crisp strips of bacon.;) WOW!!! Recipe by Marcia Kiesel, F&W Magazine, December 2008 edition. From: Top Weekend Breakfasts. As a matter of fact we are having these tonight along with some other breakfast items -- just a few of us! Can't wait! I really like these! This is my answer to fast foods!
Top Review by Starrynews
Yum, these were delicious and filling! I left a little of the bacon grease in the pan to cook the mushrooms and eggs in and omitted the butter, oil, and salt. I prepared the eggs without flipping them by adding a little water and covering with a lid, as that is my usual method. I omitted the middle slice of bread and only used 1 slice of bacon, cut in half, on each sandwich. We really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing!
- 8 slices lean bacon or 8 slices pancetta or 8 slices turkey bacon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for frying
- 1 lb white mushroom, thinly sliced
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 8 tomatoes, slices thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, turning once, until crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels; wipe out the skillet.
- In the skillet, melt the butter in the 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over moderate heat until the mushrooms soften and release their liquid, about 7 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are richly browned, about 8 minutes longer; transfer the mushrooms to a bowl.
- Wipe out the skillet and coat it with a thin film of olive oil.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet and fry them over easy over moderate heat, about 3 minutes on one side and about 30 seconds on the other side.
- Season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- On a work surface, spread 8 slices of the whole wheat toast with mayonnaise.
- Top 4 of these with the lettuce, tomato slices and bacon; top the other 4 with the mushrooms and fried eggs.
- Stack the sandwiches and cover with the remaining 4 slices of toast.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with a pickel and maybe some chips!