Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This traditional Ukrainian layered fish and vegetable bake has the same name as one of the Russian classic soups. The name reflects the prevalent 'sourness' of the ingredients.
- 1 lb eel or 1 lb mackerel or 1 lb lobster, skinned & boned
- 2 onions
- 3 3⁄4 cups fish stock or 3 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups water
- 4 cups white cabbage, shredded
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 dill pickles, sliced
- 12 green olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Cut fish into large pieces.
- Bring the stock to a gentle simmer in a large pan; add fish and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Reserve 2/3 cups stock and set aside, leaving the remaining stock in pan.
- Pour water into pan of stock.
- Bring to a boil; add cabbage. Simmer for 2 minutes then strain well.
- Melt half the butter in a pan.
- Fry onions for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the strained cabbage and reserved stock into butter, bring to a boil.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook on low heat for 1 hour, until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon half the cabbage into a baking dish.
- Top with the fish and the pickles.
- Spoon over remaining cabbage and if there is any remaining buttery stock.
- Scatter the olives, capers and the breadcrumbs over the top.
- Melt the remaining butter and drizzle over the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with boiled potatoes.