Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A scrumptious Canadian heritage recipe from my mum.
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chop rhubarb stems into 1" pieces. Mix with 2 tbsp flour and 1 cup sugar, and egg. Pour into bottom of baking pan.
- Mix remaining flour, cinnamon, oats, brown sugar, and melted butter. Sprinkle over rhubarb.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Mum's original instructions: "Mix topping until crumbly (add more butter if too dry) carefully. Sprinkle over fruit mixture and bake at 350' until browned, let cool, serve warm with ice cream! YUMMY".
- Variation: 2 cups rhubarb +2 cups strawberries. Optional: 1 tsp orange peel zest (fine).