Recipe by Ninna
This was mum's basic casserole recipe. I made it with chicken tonight and it was a lovely old fashioned style casserole. I also cooked it on the cooktop as I was in a hurry and it only takes half the time. Update: 12 Oct 06 I have just posted a photo of the beef casserole that was cooked in the oven.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
Hubby, who couldn't wait until dinner and had a pre-taste, said: Now THIS is how food should taste! No namby pamby, just honest food. This is what every man wants to come home to. When we sat down for dinner all I heard was contented grumps, mmmmm, and noises alike. This is just wonderful. Good comfort, very tasty casserole. Used skinless, boneless chickenthighs. Did not need any extra salt and just added a little ground pepper. Your Mum could sure cook. I am extremely pleased to have found this recipe and you can be assured that it will be made many many times. Don't change a thing, Hubby said, and I won't. Thanks so much for posting.
- 500 g round steaks, cut into bite sized pieces (or use chicken thighs)
- 1 onion, chopped (or sliced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup water, hot
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled & dissolved in water (or chicken cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup beans, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, sliced
- 4 potatoes, quartered (small)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll meat in flour and add to casserole dish along with onions, sauces, seasonings and water with stock cube.
- Add potatoes, carrots and beans and cook covered in oven at 180degC (350degF) for 40 minutes, then add peas and cook further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- NB; Mum added 1 teaspoons of vegemite for more flavour and to darken the gravy - substitute with similar product if you wish.