This was mum's basic casserole recipe. I made it with chicken tonight and it was a lovely old fashioned style casserole. I also cooked it on the cooktop as I was in a hurry and it only takes half the time. Update: 12 Oct 06 I have just posted a photo of the beef casserole that was cooked in the oven.
- 500 g round steaks, cut into bite sized pieces (or use chicken thighs)
- 1 onion, chopped (or sliced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup water, hot
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled & dissolved in water (or chicken cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup beans, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, sliced
- 4 potatoes, quartered (small)
- Roll meat in flour and add to casserole dish along with onions, sauces, seasonings and water with stock cube.
- Add potatoes, carrots and beans and cook covered in oven at 180degC (350degF) for 40 minutes, then add peas and cook further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- NB; Mum added 1 teaspoons of vegemite for more flavour and to darken the gravy - substitute with similar product if you wish.