Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
The many ingredients of this hearty bread make it a nutritious, satisfyingly delicious European-style offering. The flavor is enhanced when toasted for your morning breakfast! I've adapted it from a recipe found in a cooking magazine. My family prefers the bread made this way. It freezes well, too! Walnuts or Pecans work equally well. I've tried this with other yeasts, but Fleischman's works best due to its ability to proof the heavier texture of the bread.
- 1 1⁄4 cups multi-grain hot cereal
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup flax seed
- 1⁄3 cup salted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine 7-grain hot cereal mix, 1 1/2 cup boiling water, 5 T. honey-4 T. butter, salt.
- Stir. Cover (I use a dinner plate).
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Remove cover.
- Add 1 cup cool water; stir to combine all ingredients.
- Add yeast; stir to dissolve yeast.
- Continue stirring to combine ingredients well; or use large mixer to mix well.
- Mix just until combined.
- Mix flours together in separate bowl.
- Attach dough hook to mixer. Start on low speed.
- Add flours to cereal mixture, one cup at a time.
- Add flax, sunflower seeds, and nuts.
- Continue mixing till dough cleans the sides of the mixing bowl (you may have to add a bit more flour).
- Remove from mixer and place on floured bread board.
- Knead 5 minutes.
- Clean mixer bowl.
- Add 2 T. vegetable oil to clean bowl, tipping so that oil covers the bottom and part-way up the sides of the bowl.
- Place dough in bowl, then flip it over so that oiled side is on top.
- Turn on your oven light (this provides the warmth to proof your dough.
- Place bowl in the oven. Close the door.
- Let rise till double (about 1 hour).
- Remove from oven (leave the light on and re-close the door).
- Place on floured bread board.
- Separate in two pieces.
- Knead each piece 5 minutes.
- Form each into a cylinder, to fit the loaf pan.
- Oil 2 loaf pans.
- Place dough in loaf pans.
- Return to oven. Close door. Leave the light on.
- Let rise 1 hour or till dough mounds above the top of the pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes at 375°F.
Excellent Bread Recipe. I rolled the loves in Oatmeal, Sunflower Seeds and Flax Seeds before putting in the pans for a crunchy interesting top. I left out the peacans and subsituted for oatmeal (not the quick oats, but old fashion)
Pretty good. Didn't have whole flax seed, so I used ground flax seed and cut the amount down just a little. Also, don't have a stand mixer with a dough hook, so I mixed it by hand. Came out good.
Turned out great. Loved the grains and the chewy crunch from the nuts.