1/2 Photos of Multi-Grain Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
The many ingredients of this hearty bread make it a nutritious, satisfyingly delicious European-style offering. The flavor is enhanced when toasted for your morning breakfast! I've adapted it from a recipe found in a cooking magazine. My family prefers the bread made this way. It freezes well, too! Walnuts or Pecans work equally well. I've tried this with other yeasts, but Fleischman's works best due to its ability to proof the heavier texture of the bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups multi-grain hot cereal
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup flax seed
- 1/3 cup salted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1In a large bowl, combine 7-grain hot cereal mix, 1 1/2 cup boiling water, 5 T. honey-4 T. butter, salt.
- 2Stir. Cover (I use a dinner plate).
- 3Let stand 1 hour.
- 4Remove cover.
- 5Add 1 cup cool water; stir to combine all ingredients.
- 6Add yeast; stir to dissolve yeast.
- 7Continue stirring to combine ingredients well; or use large mixer to mix well.
- 8Mix just until combined.
- 9Mix flours together in separate bowl.
- 10Attach dough hook to mixer. Start on low speed.
- 11Add flours to cereal mixture, one cup at a time.
- 12Add flax, sunflower seeds, and nuts.
- 13Continue mixing till dough cleans the sides of the mixing bowl (you may have to add a bit more flour).
- 14Remove from mixer and place on floured bread board.
- 15Knead 5 minutes.
- 16Clean mixer bowl.
- 17Add 2 T. vegetable oil to clean bowl, tipping so that oil covers the bottom and part-way up the sides of the bowl.
- 18Place dough in bowl, then flip it over so that oiled side is on top.
- 19Turn on your oven light (this provides the warmth to proof your dough.
- 20Place bowl in the oven. Close the door.
- 21Let rise till double (about 1 hour).
- 22Remove from oven (leave the light on and re-close the door).
- 23Place on floured bread board.
- 24Separate in two pieces.
- 25Knead each piece 5 minutes.
- 26Form each into a cylinder, to fit the loaf pan.
- 27Oil 2 loaf pans.
- 28Place dough in loaf pans.
- 29Return to oven. Close door. Leave the light on.
- 30Let rise 1 hour or till dough mounds above the top of the pans.
- 31Bake 35-40 minutes at 375°F.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Multi-Grain Bread
Serving Size: 1 (84 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.1
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 6.7 mg
- Sodium 422.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
multi-grain hot cereal