Dakota Muti-Grain Bread
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups multi-grain hot cereal (seven grain hot cereal)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk (cold)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄3 cup salted sunflower seeds (prefer dry roasted)
- 1⁄2 cup english walnuts (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a small heavy sauce pan bring 1 1/2 cups water, honey, molasses and butter to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the 1 1/4 cups of multi grain cereal. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cooked cereal and the 1 cup of cold milk. Allow to cool to approximately 85 degrees.
- Add the yeast and stir to dissolve. Continue stirring to combine ingredients or use a large mixer to mix well.
- Mix the flours and salt in a separate bowl. Attach dough hook to mixer and start on low speed.
- Add flour to cereal mixture one cup at a time.
- Add flax and sunflower seeds and nuts.
- Continue mixing until dough cleans the sides of the bowl (you may need to add more flour).
- Remove from mixer and place on floured surface. Knead for 5 minutes.
- Clean the mixer bowl, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil to clean bowl and spread around in bowl to cover sides.
- Place dough in bowl and flip it over so the oily side is on top.
- Turn on your oven light (this provides the warmth to proof your dough). Place bowl in the oven and close door. Let rise until dough is double in size - about one hour.
- Remove from oven, place on floured surface, separate into 2 pieces, knead each piece for 5 minutes, form each into a cylinder to fit the loaf pans. Oil loaf pans, place dough in loaf pans and return to oven.
- Remember to leave the light on, let dough rise for 1 hour or until dough mounds above the pan, then bake for 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!