1/3 Photos of Mulate's Homemade Bread Pudding With Butter Rum Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown's cookbook "Feasting on Asphalt". This is an unusual bread pudding in that the texture is smooth, and dense with no evidence of the bread at all, almost like a tres leches cake because they make it from left over hamburger buns, which they soak in eggs and cream until the buns lose all form and shape. With hard sauce, the pudding is amazing.Mulate's is a restaurant in New Orleans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan and set aside.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk, half-and-half, sugar,.
- 3and vanilla, and whisk well to combine.
- 4Break the hamburger buns into pieces and place in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the raisins evenly over the buns and pour the liquid mixture over. Make sure that all of the bread is thoroughly soaked in the liquid.
- 5Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. If you prefer a firmer texture, chill for about 2 hours, then reheat for serving.
- 6Serve with butter rum sauce.
- 7BUTTER RUM SAUCE.
- 84 Tblsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter.
- 91/4 cup sugar.
- 101/2 cup heavy cream.
- 111/2 cup rum (although you can use any rum you want, AB relies on a dark spiced rum [Capt. Morgan] for this).
- 12Place the butter in a 1-quart saucepan and set over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the sugar and whisk to combine. Cook for 3 minutes.
- 13Add the cream and rum and cook for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- 14Serve warm over the bread pudding.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulate's Homemade Bread Pudding With Butter Rum Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.5
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 205.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 28.8 g
- Protein 9.4 g