Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe adapted from Alton Brown's cookbook "Feasting on Asphalt". This is an unusual bread pudding in that the texture is smooth, and dense with no evidence of the bread at all, almost like a tres leches cake because they make it from left over hamburger buns, which they soak in eggs and cream until the buns lose all form and shape. With hard sauce, the pudding is amazing.Mulate's is a restaurant in New Orleans.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease a 9 x 13-inch pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk, half-and-half, sugar,.
- and vanilla, and whisk well to combine.
- Break the hamburger buns into pieces and place in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the raisins evenly over the buns and pour the liquid mixture over. Make sure that all of the bread is thoroughly soaked in the liquid.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. If you prefer a firmer texture, chill for about 2 hours, then reheat for serving.
- Serve with butter rum sauce.
- BUTTER RUM SAUCE.
- 4 Tblsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter.
- 1/4 cup sugar.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- 1/2 cup rum (although you can use any rum you want, AB relies on a dark spiced rum [Capt. Morgan] for this).
- Place the butter in a 1-quart saucepan and set over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the sugar and whisk to combine. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and rum and cook for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Serve warm over the bread pudding.
I must admit, I've never had bread pudding before. That said this was delicious. As you can see from the one photo, I cut the recipe in half (only two of us) & DH's side had the raisins. I love grapes but have never liked raisins. I followed the recipe exactly & it came out of the oven at 45 min. Sat for 15 to 20 minutes while I made the butter-rum sauce & then was devoured, at least half of it. The other part went into the frig to see what it tastes like after it chills (for a day or two, too many calories for twice in one day.) Thanks for a great recipe. Now I'll have to try bread pudding again & see how it compares. DH, by the way, has had it before & said this was out of sight. Made for ZWT5 Zingo.
I love bread pudding. This takes a little over an hour to cook though. Next time I will soak the raisins in a little rum too. made for ZWT 5 Zingo.
This was made for lunch then I got called into work early so had to pass on the rum sauce !! Even w/out it was a terrific bread pudding . I used up fruit buns in it and sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar. It did take a long time to cook - a good hour - but my oven runs cold. Thanks for posting - made for Zingo !!