Recipe by Transylmania
This is a really easy one. In Romania this is most commonly eaten with fish or grilled pork or chicken. It is GREAT with many things though (french fries, pizza etc.) This is a slightly more complicated version that is more common in Transylvania. In the south the ingredients are usually just garlic, salt, and water. A mortar and pestle are most traditional but you can also use a garlic press or very finely mince the garlic as well.
Top Review by Callu
I am going to give this 5 stars even though in romania the mujdei and smintina (sour cream) are served separately. Mujdei is the ultimate garlic sauce and my very not-romanian husband LOVES it. We spoon it over polenta or mashed potatoes as well as meat and fish. It is so garlicky it is spicy. I do occasionally add flat leaf parsley to it.
- 1 head garlic (peeled and separated into cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (reduced fat is fine!)
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cloves of garlic in a mortar with the salt and crush into they are a paste. (You can also crush them in a press or mince very finely and then add the salt later).
- Put the garlic in a small bowl and add the oil. Beat with a fork until it is very well mixed and somewhat fluffy. This should take about 3 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and plenty of black pepper. Mix well.
- Serve with grilled meat or fish, french fries or baked potatoes, pizza -- .