Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
Mujadarra means spotted. This is a classic Arabic favourite. Every person has a different recipe for this one. You can keep it simple or dress it up with different spices and caramelised onions. This recipe is posted by request for Arabic recipes. I found this one in the 'Weekend', one of my favourite magazines. Hope its enjoyed by one and all.
Top Review by meganmcartwright
Nice! I added 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, mixed the spices in simultaneously with the onions, and did not have to simmer for the 10 minutes listed in step 3. This went very well with hummus and falafel.
- 1 cup brown lentils, washed and picked over
- 1 cup rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups water, to boil lentils
- 1 cup water, to cook rice and lentils
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the lentils in 2 cups water for 30 minutes.
- Add rice and another cup of water and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and allspice and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Fry onions in oil till golden brown and serve on top or mixed in.
- Season to taste and serve.