photo by luvcookn
- Ready In:
- Fry onion med heat in 3 T oil until soft and brown.
- Add lentils, water and spices (not salt and pepper)and bring to boil and simmer covered 20 minutes or until tender.
- Add salt and pepper and rice.
- bring to boil and reduce to lowest simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Please note I use coffee mugs as my cups as I like big helpings.
- Serve with slow fried slivered onions that are caramalised and eyptian tomato sauce ( can post if anyones interested) and olive oil drizzled over (makes huge difference) and jajik yogurt and cucumber salad.
- Is really really delicious and have kids saying it is their favourite meal!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A very good vegan meal! I used green lentils (for the first time), 1/2 tsp ground cumin following the lead of Shu Shu & sea salt. I served it with your Recipe #169113 & Balkan thick yogurt caramelized onions made with a little dark brown sugar in my cast iron frying pan and extra virgin olive oil drizzled over top. I would make this again if we are craving something vegetarian. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a stay at home Mum who just loves food, a little too much I am afraid. After a childhood of boring food as an adult I am discovering the wonderful world of food out there. And am loving eating my way around the world! I cook mainly arab, north african and mediteranean food. I love to collect cookbooks and have over 200 (way too many I know!). I hope you enjoy some of the recipes that have brought me and my family great pleasure.