1/3 Photos of Muffy the Velvet Mushroom Soup & Friend - Longmeadow Farm
Andi of Longmeadow Farm's Note:
"The Valley" below our town used to house a mushroom farm for many years. We would all assemble on a early Saturday morning and go quietly and cultivate these mushrooms. Mushrooms are sweet aren't they? I don't mean sweet as in sugary, I mean sweet as in adorable. No matter the mushroom, the size, the build, the color, they are plain cute. Which brings up the reason for the thoughtful little name of this homey soup. "Muffy" is the name we called mushrooms when we picked them. The little button "Muffy" is a succulent, just swell sorta mushroom. People just don't want to admit it, do they? During the cooling fall when leaves curl and fall, is the best time to pick these little delicacies....as well as using them in this homemade; but easy velvet soup. I do often have dried porcini's in the cupboard, sitting there silently waiting just to be used. I add thinly sliced chicken breast towards the end of cooking time if I am so inclined. Sometimes, I would rather just curl up next to Dennis on our couch, throw a big piece of wood in the woodstove and watch the fall progress with a sip of soup and "Muffy The Mushroom".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce dried mushroom, dried (porcini or any mushroom)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 3/4 lb cremini mushroom, sliced (fresh, brushed clean, any fresh mushroom can be used)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (skinless, boneless, halved lengthwise, cut into thin strips)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Italian parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
- 1In a saucepan, combine dried mushrooms in stock over medium-high heat simmering for 5 minutes.
- 2In a larger pot, melt butter. Add onion, saute' for 5 minutes, medium heat.
- 3Add fresh mushrooms, and cook 2 minutes more.
- 4Add garlic and stir quickly, 20 seconds.
- 5Sprinkle onion/mushroom/garlic mixture with flour, salt and pepper.
- 6Stir this whole flour mixture until incorporated.
- 7Add soy sauce, and (optional Tabasco sauce if using) to flour mixture.
- 8Add the mushroom stock, and porcini mushrooms, to larger pot and simmer for 15 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- 9Remove pot from heat. Using a hand held blender, or blender, blend all ingredients together until puree' making sure to leave some course bits.
- 10Combine chicken with mushroom puree' and heat for 10 minutes.
- 11Stir in half and half and heat until warm.
- 12Put directly into soup bowls add chopped parsley for garnish.
- 13Get that spoon and slurp her up now, and take off your shoes and feel the moment.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Muffy the Velvet Mushroom Soup & Friend - Longmeadow Farm
Serving Size: 1 (560 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.5
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 125.9 mg
- Sodium 657.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 38.5 g