Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins have an odd texture - slightly rubbery - because there is no fat, but they are really tasty.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups white flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3 cups all-bran cereal
- 3 cups natural bran
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 quart 1% fat buttermilk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups raisins (or craisins)
- 4 cups grated carrots
- Mix together dry ingredients, set aside.
- Beat eggs and all liquid ingredients, mix well.
- Add liquid ingredients, raisins and carrots to dry mixture.
- Stir well.
- Refridgerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Before baking stir the batter well.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Fill muffin tins 1/2 full.
- Bake 17-20 minutes.
- Do not use muffin liners- the muffins will stick to the paper really bad.
- This happens because there is no fat in the recipe.
- You must refridgerate the batter for at least 6 hours or the muffins are dry.
- You have to let the cereal soak up all the wet ingredients otherwise it stays dry.
suggestion - add about 1 cup ground flaxseeds to the mix and decrease the sugar. this will give your muffins "good fat" (omega 3's & 6's) and improve the consistency.
What delicious, moist and yet LOW FAT muffins!!! I make a half batch every week and freeze the extra muffins....and YES they freeze well too. I have made them with HALF the sugar too, just increasing the applesauce a bit and they are still sweet enough for my taste. This recipe surely is a keeper!