Recipe by X in Bayside, NY
Given by Mrs. Sporaccio - who makes a mean sauce!
Top Review by Charlotte J
This was easy to make. I loved the flavor the fresh basil gave the sauce. I also used my tomatoes from the garden and doubled the recipe since I have so many tomatoes outside. I only added 3 cups of the water but wish I added less. The sauce was runny and we like ours thicker. So next time, I'll use 1 cup water and if needed I'll add a couple of teaspoons of Clear Jel to help thicken it. Made for *Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup 2008* game
- 1 (28 ounce) can puree (I use Redpack)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup water (1/4 to 1/3rd of the sauce can)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (chopped or sliced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar, maybe more
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil (handful if fresh Basil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute garlic in a little bit of oil but don't brown it.
- Add the puree and then mix the water in the can to dissolve all the remaining puree and add to puree.
- Add all the spices and seasoning.
- Cook on medium for 1/2 hour or until it comes to a boil.
- Add spices to taste.
- If you want to cook meatballs or sausage in it, add meat after the 1/2 hour and turn down to between medium and low (slow boil) and cook for 90 minutes.