Recipe by Impera_Magna
A new bride on my first weekend visit to my in-laws, we hadn't been there long when Mrs. MacIntosh (from across the street) came over w/ the most delicious pumpkin bread imaginable. I asked for the recipe and it's the only one I've used in 35 years. Just made some with my 2 yr old granddaughter yesterday and took a slice w/ me to work today. The collegue with whom I shared it requested the recipe. I did check the database and there isn't a recipe just like this one. I would like to preserve this special (to me anyway) recipe in honor of a lovely lady. NOTE: The next time I make this, I am planning on subbing applesauce for the oil to reduce calories.
Top Review by Dorel
Very nice spicy flavor. I made 1 loaf and 12 muffins. Baked muffins for 25 minutes. The loaf took 85 minutes to cook through. It was a very large loaf. I made a few changes. I used 2 1/2 cups sugar, next time I'll try 2 cups. 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup oil. 1 teaspoon salt. No pecans or walnuts instead I increased the raisins to 1 1/2 cups. Thanks Impy for a tasty recipe.
- 4 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (1 lb) can solid pack pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup cold water
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup raisins (or dried cranberries)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients together into a large bowl (I just put the dry ingredients in the bowl and mix them together w/ a whisk -- much faster); make a well in the center.
- Add oil, pumpkin, water, and eggs; beat well.
- Fold in nuts and raisins (which are optional).
- Spoon into two 5x9" loaf pans that have been greased and floured).
- Bake at 350* for appx 1 hour. (I use the toothpick test to check for doneness, sometimes it take another 10 minutes b/c this is a very moist quick bread).
- NOTE: I've made both mini-loaves and muffins using this recipe. The bread freezes well.