Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup diced russet potato
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked brown rice
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over med-high heat; add in the onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add in the tomatoes with juices, bell pepper, cabbage, potatoes, chili powder, and cumin.
- Continue cooking, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth, rice, and beans; cover and cook over low heat about 1-2 hours or until the soup is thick and rice is tender; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with cheese and serve hot.