Moroccan-Spiced Vegetarian Chili
- In a saucepan, combine the chilies and water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the chilies to a work surface; reserve the liquid.
- Discard the stems and seeds from the chilies.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chilies with 4 whole garlic cloves and 1/2 cup of the liquid. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy pot over medium heat. Coat the pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop the remaining 4 garlic cloves and add to the pot, along with the onion, turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, and coriander.
- Sauté until the onion and garlic have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices, butternut squash, and the chili puree.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is just tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas with their liquid, the zucchini, dried apricots, and prunes. Simmer, uncovered, until all the squashes are tender, about 15 minutes more.
- Transfer to a warmed serving dish and serve hot.