1/1 Photo of Moroccan-Spiced Pastitsio With Lamb and Feta
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Dr. Jenny's Note:
DH and I enjoyed this nice twist on pastitsio last night for dinner. It gave me a good excuse to use up some of my ras-el-hanout spice that I have in abundance. I liked that there was very little prep involved in this recipe. I got it from the March 2011 issue of "Bon Appetit." Prep time does not include resting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ras el hanout spice mix
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided (1 stick)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add lamb; cook until brown, breaking into small pieces, about 8 minutes.
- 3Stir in tomatoes with juice, mint, ras-el-hanout, tomato paste, 2 1/2 tsp cumin, and cinnamon. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until lamb mixture is thick, stirring often, 15 to 18 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Meanwhile, bring 2 cups milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm. Melt 6 Tb butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until roux is pale golden, whisking often, 3 to 4 minutes. Gradually add warm milk to roux, whisking until sauce is smooth.
- 5Whisk 1 cup milk and 3 egg yolks in medium bowl; whisk into sauce. Whisk in feta and 1/2 tsp cumin. Bring sauce to boil, whisking often. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until slightly thickened, mashing with potato masher to break up cheese, about 5 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Rewarm over low heat, whisking often, before using.
- 6Preheat oven to 400°F Butter deep 14-cup (we used 9x13") baking dish. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta; return to same pot. Mix 2 Tb butter into pasta. Add egg whites and 1/4 cup Parmesan; stir to blend.
- 7Spread 4 cups pasta in dish. Spread lamb mixture over. Top with remaining pasta. Spoon sauce over; sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Place dish on rimmed baking sheet. Bake pastitsio until heated through, about 40 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan-Spiced Pastitsio With Lamb and Feta
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.1
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 141.1 mg
- Sodium 491.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 23.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix