Recipe by evelyn/athens
A warming meal on a cool day - the spices add just the right note.
Top Review by cpenner
This was a very good meal. We enjoyed this. The Moroccan flavour is very nice and makes this quite different from any of my usual chicken recipes. I made three small changes: I browned the chicken in non-stick spray instead of using olive oil, I decreased the spices to suit my husband's preferences, and I omitted the currants from the couscous. Still very good! After 30 minutes the carrots were still a bit hard, so I'd suggest slicing them a bit thinner. Thanks for a good supper!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large chicken legs, separated at thigh joints
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 lb carrot, peeled,cut on diagonal into ½ inch thick slices
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges and seeded
- 1 cup chicken stock
- spiced couscous (you can find this in my recipes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy, large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add to skillet and cook until brown on both sides.
- Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add onion to skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Add carrots and stir 2 minutes.
- Add spices and stir 1 minute.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Add lemon and stock.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes (can be prepared 1 day ahead. Rewarm, covered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally).
- Serve over spiced couscous, arranging lemon wedges as garnish.