Moroccan Spiced Chicken with Almonds and Dates
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄2 - 4 lbs chicken parts
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices (about 1 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pitted and quartered dates
- 1⁄3 cup whole blanched almond
- Coat chicken with flour.
- Heat oil in large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add half of chicken; brown about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from skillet.
- Repeat browning step with remaining chicken, adding onion.
- Return all chicken to skillet.
- Combine cinnamon, cumin, ginger and turmeric in small bowl; add to chicken.
- Stir to evenly coat chicken and onions with spices; saute 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in dates and almonds and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked basmati rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This chicken was tender and tasted great; it created a delicous, colorful "gravy" to go on top of Wild Rice with Walnute and Dates (recipe #104629 ). We served it with Apricot Salad (recipe #24805) and a Mediterannean zuchini/tomato side dish. The only changes I made to this recipe were to add a few pinches of cayenne and used bottled lemon juice since I had no lemons on hand. We will have this again. Thanks for sharing a delicous recipe for family dining and for company.