Recipe by Sydney Mike
This North African recipe was taken from the internet & tweaked slightly.
Top Review by Laneydey
Made this recipe twice now. The first time I followed the recipe pretty closely (used less olives as I am not a fan) and it was very good, but seemed like something was "missing" to me and my dinner guests. The next time, I used a better quality saffron (and more of it), added the called for amount of olives, and added red pepper flakes. That was the winning combination for us! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
- 1 onion, medium, peeled, quartered
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 1 dash black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, finely chop onion & garlic.
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, then saute chicken & onion mixture until mixture has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water, the saffron, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt & lemon zest.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat & simmer, covered, 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from sauce & allow to cool a few minutes.
- Cut chicken into small pieces, then put meat back into sauce.
- To the sauce add lemon juice, olives, cilantro & pepper, & simmer gently 5 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, in a medium saucepan bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil.
- Add couscous & bring back to a boil, then remove from heat & allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture over couscous & serve.