Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This North African recipe was taken from the internet & tweaked slightly.
Make and share this Moroccan Lemon Chicken With Olives recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, medium, peeled, quartered
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 1 dash black pepper
- In food processor, finely chop onion & garlic.
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, then saute chicken & onion mixture until mixture has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water, the saffron, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt & lemon zest.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat & simmer, covered, 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from sauce & allow to cool a few minutes.
- Cut chicken into small pieces, then put meat back into sauce.
- To the sauce add lemon juice, olives, cilantro & pepper, & simmer gently 5 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, in a medium saucepan bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil.
- Add couscous & bring back to a boil, then remove from heat & allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture over couscous & serve.
Made this recipe twice now. The first time I followed the recipe pretty closely (used less olives as I am not a fan) and it was very good, but seemed like something was "missing" to me and my dinner guests. The next time, I used a better quality saffron (and more of it), added the called for amount of olives, and added red pepper flakes. That was the winning combination for us! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
OH MY! This is a 5 STAR restaurant quality recipe! What a wonderful blend of spices and ingredients that complement each other for a SUPREME MEAL :) Made as written and will defiantly be made again. Thanks Syd for posting. Made for SSaSSy's ZWT 6.
This was a great dinner. I made a couple of substitutions- first, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts; second, I used orzo instead of couscous (cooked to package directions). Since I used boneless chicken, I only needed to simmer 10 minutes in step 5, which got the chicken to a perfect level of doneness, and got dinner on the table faster! I had to add a little extra water, though, to keep the onion mixture from going dry and burning. We loved the flavors in this dish! In fact, we loved them so much that I think I would double the ginger, paprika, and cumin the next time, and maybe add some of it to the dredging flour. Thanks for a great recipe, I look forward to making it again!