This North African recipe was taken from the internet & tweaked slightly.
Make and share this Moroccan Lemon Chicken With Olives recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, medium, peeled, quartered
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 cup couscous
- 1 dash black pepper
- In food processor, finely chop onion & garlic.
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, then saute chicken & onion mixture until mixture has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup water, the saffron, ginger, cumin, paprika, salt & lemon zest.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat & simmer, covered, 35 minutes.
- Remove chicken from sauce & allow to cool a few minutes.
- Cut chicken into small pieces, then put meat back into sauce.
- To the sauce add lemon juice, olives, cilantro & pepper, & simmer gently 5 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, in a medium saucepan bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil.
- Add couscous & bring back to a boil, then remove from heat & allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon chicken mixture over couscous & serve.