Recipe by bigbadbrenda
A spicy blend of lamb, apricots and chickpeas. This makes a large pot, so freeze to give you a few meals down the road. I made mine in a crock pot. I have made this using chicken parts. I also serve this with a bit of plain yogurt on the side for those who want to cool down the spiciness.I didn't use all the cinnamon just 1/2 tsp as I don't care for meat and cinnamon together. Argan oil should be found in a speciality store. Time preparing does not include the overnight in fridge.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 lbs stewing lamb
- 1 cup onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons argan oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 pint tomato juice
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 ounces dried apricots
- 2 ounces dates
- 2 ounces raisins
- 3 ounces sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 pint lamb or 1 pint chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 tablespoons parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place the cayenne, pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix.
- Place the lamb in a large bowl and toss with 1/2 the spice mixture.
- Cover and leave overnight.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of argan oil in a large casserole dish.
- Add the grated onion and the remaining spice mix and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes. Add the crushed garlic in the final 3 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and brown the lamb on all sides.
- Add to the casserole dish.
- Deglaze the pan with 1/4 pint of the tomato juice and add that to the casserole dish as well.
- Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole dish.
- Bring to a boil, cover and place in oven or slow cooker 2 1/2 - 3 hours until meat is very tender.
- Serve with couscous or rice and top with herbs.