Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A friend gave me this recipe that she got from a Moroccan cooking demo at her library. She says it's fabulous!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 turnip, diced (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch curry powder
- 2 cups couscous, uncooked
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat; saute onion until golden.
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring to boil.
- Stir in carrots, sweet potato and turnip (if using). Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add zucchini and red pepper. simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce and spices. Simmer until heated.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 1/2 cups water to boil. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 - 7 minutes.
- Fluff with fork and serve with vegetables on top.
I more or less halved the recipe and my son and I enjoyed it for a light supper. I had some frozen whole tomatoes, so used those instead of the tomato sauce. For the veggie broth, I used some of the tomato juice and some of the liquid from the garbanzo beans. Thanks! Made for ZWT 2013, Zingo for team Hot Stuff.
This is fantastic. I made as written and flavor was great. Next time I will cook the liquid down a little more, as it was runny. I added some grilled chicken over the top, which was a nice addition.