Prep 24 hrs
Cook 8 mins
This is an over night recipe but they are worth the wait.
- 1 lb pitted green olives (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup peeled seeded and chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 lemon slices, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon harissa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 pinch salt
- ground black pepper
- Place the olives in a medium saucepan, add water to cover, bring to a boil, then drain.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic, then the tomato paste and sauté until the paste begins to darken, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, water, lemon slices, cayenne, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the olives.
- Discard the lemon slices and let cool.
- Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Serve at room temperature.