Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You gotta love how the taste of cinnamon and ginger complements this stew.
Make and share this Moroccan Chicken Stew With Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- coarse salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 2 inches long, peeled
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup couscous
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- Place flour in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper; dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add chicken, and cook until browned, 4 to 6 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, ginger, and cinnamon to pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot. Add broth, sweet potatoes, and, if using, saffron.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sweet potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Discard ginger and cinnamon.
- Stir in lemon juice, and season stew with salt and pepper.
- While stew is simmering prepare couscous according to package directions.
- Serve chicken stew with couscous; garnished with cilantro, if desired.