Recipe by Annacia
This is surprisingly substantial — a bit like an overstuffed deli sandwich, but not nearly as heavy." Start ahead of time as the marinating time is a minimum of 4 hours.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium carrots (8)
- 1 1⁄4 cups green olives (such as Cerignola or picholine, pitted, 6 to 7 oz)
- 3 tablespoons drained bottled capers, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 flat anchovy fillet, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 12 slices good-quality bread
- 6 ounces soft mild goat cheese, at room temperature (3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare carrots:.
- Whisk together sugar, lemon juice, spices, salt, and oil in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Halve carrots crosswise on a long diagonal, then, starting from diagonal ends, cut into 1/16-inch-thick slices using slicer. Cook carrots in a 4- to 5-quart pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 45 seconds. Drain well in a colander and immediately toss with dressing. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, then marinate, covered and chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Make tapenade and assemble sandwiches:.
- Pulse olives with capers, parsley, anchovy, zest, lemon juice, and pepper in a food processor until coarsely chopped, then scrape down side of bowl with a rubber spatula. Pulsing motor, add oil in a slow stream and continue to pulse until mixture is finely chopped (do not pulse to a paste).
- Spread tapenade on 6 slices of bread and goat cheese on remaining 6 slices, then make sandwiches with carrots.
- Cooks' notes: ·Carrots can marinate up to 2 days.
- · Tapenade can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered.