3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe won Harold R. Timber of Taos, New Mexico, a World Championship in 1983 at the International Chili Society Cookoff.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 8 ounces beef consomme
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 7 tablespoons Gebhardt® Chili powder
- 2 tablespoons msg
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mole
- 2 cups water
- oil (to coat frying pan)
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut by hand into 3/8-inch cubes
- 2 lbs top round beef, coarsely ground
- 2 lbs pork butt, medium ground
- oil (to coat frying pan, again)
- 3 cups finely minced onions
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup green chili, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 1 can Old Milwaukee beer
- masa harina, as needed
- 1Combine first 11 ingredients (sugar to mole) with the 2 cups of water (you may need to do this on the stove); when all is dissolved, add to a large, heavy cooking pot and keep at a light boil.
- 2In a skillet, saute the meat in a little oil; when all is browned, add to the large pot.
- 3Add a little more oil to the skillet, then saute the onion and garlic.
- 4Add to the large pot, along with the green chiles and the tomato sauce.
- 5Bring mixture to a boil, then add the beer.
- 6Simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 7Let stand for 30 minutes and skim off excess grease.
- 8Correct seasonings to taste.
- 9Thicken with Masa Harina in warm water to suitable consistency.
- 10Cover and let stand one hour before serving.
Nutritional Facts for Montezuma's Revenge
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.4
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 148.1 mg
- Sodium 526.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 47.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: