Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is another traditional Chinese dish. The sauce recipe is separate.
Make and share this Mongolian Beef (Without Sauce) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef tenderloin, silverskin trimmed
- 1 tablespoon thin soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick diagonal slices
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 1⁄2 inches cube gingerroot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cut tenderloin into 1/2" thick medallions. Toss with two soy sauces and cornstarch and allow to marinate at least twenty minutes.
- After cutting cucumber and first jalapeno, use them to completely line a serving platter, with the cucumber in the center, and the jalapeno as decoration along the edges as shown above.
- Heat wok until it is smoking. Add peanut oil and heat until it shimmers. Add onion slices and stir fry until they turn golden. Add ginger, jalapeno and garlic to wok and stir and fry until garlic begins to turn golden.
- Add meat in a single layer, and let sit undisturbed for at least one minute, or until the meat is seared well on the bottom. Begin stir frying with the goal of simply searing the outside of the meat, while the inside stays medium rare.