Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Based on Mongolian Beef. I wanted to see what would happen with Napa cabbage rolls on my grill. The results, according to my wife and my own opinion were very tasty.
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 5 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon malt vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely sliced
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper, finely sliced
- 3⁄4 cup finely sliced green onion
- dry sherry
- light soy sauce
- garlic clove, finely diced
- sesame oil
- Combine ground beef with marinade ingredients in a large bowl, cover, and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Separate about 10-12 cabbage leaves and blanch in boiling water until soft. drain and let cool or rinse with cold water.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a hot wok until surface seems to shimmer slightly.
- Toss in reserved cabbage, carrot and pepper and stir-fry for a further minute. . Stir through scallions, reserving just a little to garnish, and remove from heat.
- Allow vegetables to cool.
- Take a cabbage leaf, spread an ounce or so of the meat mixture on it, add vegetables and roll. seal with a toothpick soaked in water.
- Brush with oil or spray w cooking spray.
- Place on grill over direct medium low heat. cook about 10 minutes on each side.
- Serve with rice noodles, and chili garlic sauce and/or ht mustard.