1/1 Photo of Mom's Southern Style Split Pea Soup
3 hrs 20 mins
This soup's flavor is very different from your traditional pea soup. It is not sweet but has a spicy flavor very different from the 'savory' flavor of most pea soups. I love any pea soup but this one is the one I yearn for. Sometimes I add even more carrot if I think we need more carrots in our diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You may substitute a meaty hambone, diced smoked ham, cut up smoked pork butt, or, if like my husband prefers and no pork is allowed, use smoked turkey.
- 2Put all ingredients except salt into large heavy-bottomed stock pot.
- 3Cook over low-med. heat. Stir occasionally.
- 4Simmer until meat falls off bone and split peas have become mush. Be careful not to burn. Stir more often as soup thickens.
- 5Remove bone, bay leaves and spices.
- 6Puree and test for salt. Add salt if needed and cook an additional 15 minutes. Adjust water if necessary.
- 7The soup should be very thick. It becomes almost paste when cold. You may need to add some water to reheat.
- 8This soup freezes very well.
- 9If you leave out the cloves you won't have this special recipe. They are the secret ingredient.
- 10I'm guessing on servings and amount. it depends on how much you cook it down.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Southern Style Split Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 43.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: