Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is my mom's recipe for rouladen as taught to her by my dad's mother, with a couple of flavour enhancements from me.
- 4 large beef cutlets, approx. 6 oz. each
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Lay the cutlets on a flat surface.
- Spread each one with mustard, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Divide the pickles, bacon and onion evenly between the cutlets.
- Roll up jelly roll style and secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan; add the rouladen and brown well on all sides.
- Pour in the broth and add the peppercorns and bay leaf.
- Cover, simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove the rouladen.
- Keep warm.
- Blend the cornstarch with the cold water and add to the broth in the pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in the sour cream and heat through.
- Adjust the seasonings and serve.