1/3 Photos of Mom's Rouladen
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is my mom's recipe for rouladen as taught to her by my dad's mother, with a couple of flavour enhancements from me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large beef cutlets, approx. 6 oz. each
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 slices bacon, cut in half
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1Lay the cutlets on a flat surface.
- 2Spread each one with mustard, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Divide the pickles, bacon and onion evenly between the cutlets.
- 4Roll up jelly roll style and secure with wooden toothpicks.
- 5Heat the oil in a large saucepan; add the rouladen and brown well on all sides.
- 6Pour in the broth and add the peppercorns and bay leaf.
- 7Cover, simmer for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- 8Remove the rouladen.
- 9Keep warm.
- 10Blend the cornstarch with the cold water and add to the broth in the pan.
- 11Bring to a boil and cook until thick and bubbly.
- 12Stir in the sour cream and heat through.
- 13Adjust the seasonings and serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Rouladen
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.8
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 1291.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: