Recipe by HobbysGirl
After finding out she was diabetic, my mom couldn't eat her favorite granola because it made her blood sugar spike. So, she came up with this recipe, and it's so much better than the store-bought because it's healthier and you can make it just how you want to. It makes a lot, and it keeps well in airtight containers. Now I like this recipe with no sugar and lots of raisins.
Top Review by janice.omalley
This was delicious. Although, I cut the recipe in half since this was the first time I attempted making granola. Instead of Splenda I used brown sugar. I didn't have enough honey, probably just a 1/2of a cup, and I forgot to put in the Vanilla. It actually turned out really good. I think if I used the entire cup of honey, it would have been too sweet. That's why I rated this a 4. I really enjoyed the spices in this recipe.
- 42 ounces quick oatmeal
- 1 (16 ounce) bag shredded coconut
- 1 (10 ounce) bag sliced almonds
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 cups Splenda granular, sugar substitute (optional) or 2 cups sugar (optional)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups honey
- 3 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 (24 ounce) box raisins or 1 (24 ounce) box other dried fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- In a (large) dish pan mix dry ingredients (oatmeal through nutmeg) until evenly dispersed.
- In a microwaveable bowl, mix wet ingredients (oil through vanilla).
- Microwave on high for one minute to combine if needed.
- Pour liquid over cereal mix.
- Stir with spoon to moisten everything. Add a little water if necessary.
- Spread into four large greased roasting or baking pans, about 1 to 1 1/2 inch deep works best.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 120 minutes, stirring after 40 minutes, breaking up large clumps.
- After cooking, let cool on stove. Granola will dry out a little more in this stage, so don't overcook it while baking.
- Spread raisins over top of dry granola.
- Scoop into airtight containers. Raisins will mix evenly into granola in this stage.