Recipe by pammyowl
A family favorite!
Top Review by Pesto lover
I made this in the early morning. The plan was to serve it later, after dinner. The house smelled so good and it looked so scrumptious when it came out of the over, that it became breakfast! We ate half the cake in one sitting, with lots of coffee. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced thinly (or Granny Smith)
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease a 9” round baking dish with butter.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter. Add the apples and fry until tender, 5-10 minutes, over medium to medium-high heat, moving the apples around to be sure they are all coated in the butter and watching them so that they do not burn.
- While apples are frying, in a bowl stir together flour, salt and baking powder and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, 2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk, vanilla extract and lemon zest until creamy and well mixed.
- Stir apples with the melted butter into egg and sugar mixture and mix quickly so that the hot butter does not scramble the eggs.
- Once apples are covered, add the flour mixture and mix to coat apples.
- Spoon into 9" round buttered baking dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake forms a brown crust on top.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert, then flip back over, apple-side-up, and let cool completely before serving.