A family favorite!
Make and share this Mom's Buttery Apple Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 3 golden delicious apples, peeled and sliced thinly (or Granny Smith)
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease a 9” round baking dish with butter.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter. Add the apples and fry until tender, 5-10 minutes, over medium to medium-high heat, moving the apples around to be sure they are all coated in the butter and watching them so that they do not burn.
- While apples are frying, in a bowl stir together flour, salt and baking powder and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, 2 whole eggs, 1 egg yolk, vanilla extract and lemon zest until creamy and well mixed.
- Stir apples with the melted butter into egg and sugar mixture and mix quickly so that the hot butter does not scramble the eggs.
- Once apples are covered, add the flour mixture and mix to coat apples.
- Spoon into 9" round buttered baking dish.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until cake forms a brown crust on top.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Invert, then flip back over, apple-side-up, and let cool completely before serving.