Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Alice Arber, my dear Mother-in-Law and Barbara Arber, my dear sister-in-law made this relish for years. My husband, Dave and I got hooked on it. I now make this every year as a Christmas gift for Dave. And we have another younger generation loving it now,
- 12 red peppers
- 12 green peppers
- 12 medium onions
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 3 3⁄4 cups vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- Grind together peppers and onions.
- Pour boiling water over, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine rest, and bring to a boil.
- Add drained peppers and onions.
- Boil gently 30 minutes.
- Pour into hot jars and seal.
I've been making this for years. It is super-easy and absolutely delicious. I let the peppers and onions sit in the boiling water for 15 minutes before straining, then add other ingredients directly to them, and boil for 30 minutes. Recipe is easy to halve or quarter if you don't want to make such a big batch.
I make this same relish and I add 12 apples to mine...try it this way, its goood....