Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Family plum pudding I enjoyed from when I was little till I was given the recipe to start making it myself...
- 2 cups self-rising flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 375 g sultanas
- 375 g raisins
- glace cherries, as wanted
- 6 strong black tea bags
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 150 butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- boil cloth in saucepan. take it out and wring out. dust inside the cloth with flour.
- Into a bowl, place the first 9 ingredients. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add 1 1/2 cups of brewed tea and vanilla. Add bicarb to mix whilst holding saucepan over dry ingredients.
- (bicarb will foam) Add a small amount of salt for flavour balance.
- Consistency of cake batter.
- Place cloth in a bowl for mix to be pored into. Allow enough room at the top of the pudding for some expansion.
- Using really large pot, bring water to the boil.
- Tie pudding up with a string, tight.
- Place in boiling water about half full pre pudding, water should cover majority of pudding whilst cooking.May need topping up. Water should be at a soft boil.