Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
A diabetic exchange is 2 1/2 starch per slice.
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 9 -10 cups flour
- In a bowl combine first 6 ingredients.
- Cool to 110F
- Add yeast and mix well.
- Add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead on a floured board til smooth about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm,draft free place til doubled (about 90 minutes).
- Punch dough down and divide into 3
- Form 3 loaves and place in well greased loaf pans.
- Cover and let rise til doubled (1 hour).
- Bake 350F 45-50 minutes or til golden brown.
- Allow to cool on wire racks.
- NOTE-If a soft crust is desired brush tops with butter immediately on removing from oven.
great bread! toasted, used for a sandwich, or just with butter..or not..tasty no matter what !!
This was my first time making bread without my breadmaker! I misplaced the kneading paddle and decided to make bread from scratch. It turned out wonderful! I will say that it was difficult to stir and quite sticky; I had a real mess in the kitchen to clean up afterwards. I didn't read the recipe close enough to notice that I was making THREE loaves of bread and was shocked at the amount of flour. But, I put two balls of dough in the freezer and look forward to eating those in the near future. I'll cut it down to one loaf next time, though. Thanks!