I have served this at Thanksgiving for the last two years, and each time the bird was gone in two days. This dish is so outstanding that there is no need to concern yourself with leftovers. Based on "Lacey's Mom" review and the fact that my last turkey took almost 4 hours to cook, I recommend increasing the cooking temperature to 300 degrees and strongly recommend the use of a meat thermometer. Obviously, cooking time increases with the weight of the turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 18 -20 lbs turkey
- 3 limes, quartered
- 3 oranges, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
MOJO CUBANO MARINADE
- 1Thaw turkey in refrigerator for 3 days.
- 2Remove neck and giblets from cavity.
- 3Place the bird in a x-large cooking bag.
- 4Using your hands, thoroughly rub the marinade into the bird and fill the cavity.
- 5Secure cooking bag with twist tie.
- 6Allow bird to marinate in the refrigerator for at least one day in advance of cooking.
- 7Reserve the remaining half of the marinade.
- 8Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- 9Remove the bird from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- 10Place the bird on a rack on a roasting pan.
- 11Fill the cavity with the limes, oranges, onion and cilantro& thyme sprigs.
- 12Put it in the hot oven.
- 13Caramelize the exterior of the bird, leaving the interior undone.
- 14Pour the used marinade over the bird and reduce the oven heat to 300, Roast real slowly for up to 3 hours or until interior reaches 160 degrees.
- 15Remove from oven and cover with foil until ready to carve.
- 16Don't let the meat get cold.
- 17Slice in 1/4 inch medallions, drizzled with reserved marinade.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mojo Cubano Brine
Serving Size: 1 (1095 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2284.6
- Calories from Fat 1230
- Total Fat 136.7 g
- Saturated Fat 30.6 g
- Cholesterol 694.6 mg
- Sodium 4698.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 219.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: