1/1 Photo of Moist and Fluffy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Young Mom's Note:
Taken from 'The Canadian Baker' Blog. Absolutely the best texture I've ever had. Moist, fluffy, and light. Adaptable for blueberry lemon muffins, raspberry orange etc. I will add more lemon juice next time as I found it not zesty enough, and will cut back on the poppy seeds slightly. A simple lemon glaze makes this the perfect sweet treat for a cold day or an after lunch dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup poppy seed (use 1/8 cup if you like only a sprinkle of poppy seeds in your muffins)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 grated med lemon, zest of
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (I prefer 1/2 cup for more zing)
- 1Adjust rack to top third of oven and preheat to 350' F Grease muffin tin with shortening.
- 2In large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds.
- 3In separate bowl combine buttermilk, oil and eggs, whisking gently.
- 4Grate lemon and add zest to dry mixture, stirring well.
- 5Squeeze juice from lemon to form 1/3 cup (add more if lemon does not produce required amount, I measured 1/2 cup for my batch for more zing)
- 6Pour lemon juice into dry ingredients and blend slightly (keeping the lemon juice separate from milk will prevent curdling). Pour in wet ingredients from bowl and mix only until blended, Do not over mix.
- 7Spoon into tin and bake until top is slightly golden, about 18-20mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 8Make a simple glaze from powdered sugar, lemon juice and milk for an extra sweet treat.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moist and Fluffy Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.0
- Calories from Fat 190
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 980.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 42.4 g
- Protein 13.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of