Recipe by Susan D in Texas
This is so good. My kids love it. I don't remember where I got this recipe.
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 20 single-stack square saltine crackers
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup butter
- cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan with pastry.
- In a pot, boil water, sugar and cream of tartar, stirring until all sugar is dissolved.
- Add the whole crackers (do not break up) and boily ONLY 1 minute.
- Spoon the mixture gently into the pie shell, dot the top with butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar to taste.
- Cover the pie with the top crust and cut several vents.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Let the pie cool completely so that it becomes firm before cutting the first slice.