This recipe is from the Elsah Landing Cookbook of the Elsah Landing restaurant located in Elsah, Illinois. They have fabulous desserts there and this was my favorite. I made this all the time for my husband when we were first married and I was trying to impress him LOL... It's also nice to slip a little whisper of Kalluah into the filling and topping! NOTE: prep time is approximate - assumes you will chill the topping and make the pie at the same time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco shortening (I've used butter and it's just fine)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 eggs
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Topping, Step 1.
- 3Combine cream, sugar and instant coffee in small mixer bowl and chill for one hour, while you prepare the rest of the pie.
- 4Prepare crust.
- 5Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- 6Cut in shortening with pastry blender until it forms rice-size particles.
- 7Stir in walnuts, brown sugar and chocolate.
- 8Add water and vanilla.
- 9toss with fork then press into a 9-inch pie pan to form crust.
- 10Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then cool.
- 11Prepare filling.
- 12Beat butter in mixer bowl until creamy.
- 13Gradually add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- 14Blend in chocolate and instant coffee.
- 15Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 2- 3 minutes after each addition.
- 16Turn into cooled pie shell and chill.
- 17Topping, Step 2.
- 18Beat chilled topping ingredients until stiff and spread on top of chilled pie.
- 19Decorate with chocolate curls.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mocha Toffee Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5305.9
- Calories from Fat 3755
- Total Fat 417.2 g
- Saturated Fat 207.7 g
- Cholesterol 1319.1 mg
- Sodium 1598.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 381.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 266.4 g
- Protein 54.5 g