Recipe by Jellyqueen
This recipe is from the Elsah Landing Cookbook of the Elsah Landing restaurant located in Elsah, Illinois. They have fabulous desserts there and this was my favorite. I made this all the time for my husband when we were first married and I was trying to impress him LOL... It's also nice to slip a little whisper of Kalluah into the filling and topping! NOTE: prep time is approximate - assumes you will chill the topping and make the pie at the same time.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening (I've used butter and it's just fine)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- chocolate curls
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Topping, Step 1.
- Combine cream, sugar and instant coffee in small mixer bowl and chill for one hour, while you prepare the rest of the pie.
- Prepare crust.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until it forms rice-size particles.
- Stir in walnuts, brown sugar and chocolate.
- Add water and vanilla.
- toss with fork then press into a 9-inch pie pan to form crust.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then cool.
- Prepare filling.
- Beat butter in mixer bowl until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Blend in chocolate and instant coffee.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 2- 3 minutes after each addition.
- Turn into cooled pie shell and chill.
- Topping, Step 2.
- Beat chilled topping ingredients until stiff and spread on top of chilled pie.
- Decorate with chocolate curls.