Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the Elsah Landing Cookbook of the Elsah Landing restaurant located in Elsah, Illinois. They have fabulous desserts there and this was my favorite. I made this all the time for my husband when we were first married and I was trying to impress him LOL... It's also nice to slip a little whisper of Kalluah into the filling and topping! NOTE: prep time is approximate - assumes you will chill the topping and make the pie at the same time.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening (I've used butter and it's just fine)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate square, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
- chocolate curls
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Topping, Step 1.
- Combine cream, sugar and instant coffee in small mixer bowl and chill for one hour, while you prepare the rest of the pie.
- Prepare crust.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until it forms rice-size particles.
- Stir in walnuts, brown sugar and chocolate.
- Add water and vanilla.
- toss with fork then press into a 9-inch pie pan to form crust.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, then cool.
- Prepare filling.
- Beat butter in mixer bowl until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Blend in chocolate and instant coffee.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 2- 3 minutes after each addition.
- Turn into cooled pie shell and chill.
- Topping, Step 2.
- Beat chilled topping ingredients until stiff and spread on top of chilled pie.
- Decorate with chocolate curls.