They made these this morning on the local morning news program. I didn't hesitate to copy this one down! The recipe source is Green Bay deli and catering company, A'Bravo.
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Stir 1/4 cup hot water and espresso powder in medium bowl until espresso powder dissolves.
- Add buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until well-blended.
- Mix flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips and pecans.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until tester inserted into center of muffins comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer muffins to rack and cool.
This was great. Neighbors, kids, and hubby all loved it. I did substitute 2T instant coffee for the espresso powder and plain yogurt for the buttermilk because that was what I had on hand.