Recipe by Mom2Rose
From Taste of Home - "This mocha pie is chocolaty from top to bottom. The only thing hard about making it is waiting for it to set. Your friends and family will want to dig right in." NOTE: This pie has a 4 hour refrigeration time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled (2-1 oz. squares)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- toasted sliced almonds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and butter.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate.
- Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over milk; let stand for 1 minute.
- Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, coffee, water and salt; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat; stir in melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.
- Spread evenly into crust.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.
- Just before serving, in a small mixing bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form; pipe over pie.
- Garnish with almonds if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.