Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an amazing frozen treat! It takes a little time continuously whisking, but it is definitely worth it. The next time I make it I may double the recipe, it will definitely still fit in the ice cream maker cylinder. I used skim milk because it is what I had on hand and omitted the almonds at the end. I've heard of people using espresso powder instead of instant coffee, but the instant coffee gives a very nice, subtle flavor. Also, some have mentioned using less cornstarch, but I used the full 2 TBSP and thought it came out great. The consistency is ridiculously smooth and I may have added a little more than an ounce of chopped chocolate. Enjoy!
- Stir together 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch.
- Whisk together sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1 1/2 cups milk in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring.
- Whisk in coffee granules.
- Stir cornstarch mixture again and whisk into coffee mixture.
- Return to a boil, whisking, then remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, a pinch of salt, and half of chocolate to saucepan, stirring.
- Set saucepan in a large bowl of ice water to cool, whisking frequently.
- Freeze chocolate mixture in ice-cream maker. When nearly frozen, add remaining chocolate and churn until blended.
- Serve gelato sprinkled with almonds.