mikey & ev's Note:
This is an amazing frozen treat! It takes a little time continuously whisking, but it is definitely worth it. The next time I make it I may double the recipe, it will definitely still fit in the ice cream maker cylinder. I used skim milk because it is what I had on hand and omitted the almonds at the end. I've heard of people using espresso powder instead of instant coffee, but the instant coffee gives a very nice, subtle flavor. Also, some have mentioned using less cornstarch, but I used the full 2 TBSP and thought it came out great. The consistency is ridiculously smooth and I may have added a little more than an ounce of chopped chocolate. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Stir together 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch.
- 2Whisk together sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1 1/2 cups milk in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring.
- 3Whisk in coffee granules.
- 4Stir cornstarch mixture again and whisk into coffee mixture.
- 5Return to a boil, whisking, then remove from heat.
- 6Add vanilla, a pinch of salt, and half of chocolate to saucepan, stirring.
- 7Set saucepan in a large bowl of ice water to cool, whisking frequently.
- 8Freeze chocolate mixture in ice-cream maker. When nearly frozen, add remaining chocolate and churn until blended.
- 9Serve gelato sprinkled with almonds.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mocha Chip Gelato Amazing! - Ice Cream Machine
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.8
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 5.3 mg
- Sodium 86.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g