Recipe by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
I love this recipe because it is easy to mix up, I usually have everything on hand and they taste woooonderful. The frosting is optional.
Top Review by Confetti
These were awesome. I was thinking of how beautiful they looked so beautiful while I was making them. Im glad I messed up the frosting because without them, these things were really really sweet. I'd probably knowck the sugar back down to 1 cup if I make these again. Thank you so much these were very very moist and reminded me of a firmer version of flourless chocolate cake. They were incredibly rich and Im pretty much set on one. Again, awesome recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 2 -3 teaspoons instant coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Melt shortening and butter over low heat or in the microwave.
- Remove from heat and add cocoa, blend well.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Dissolve instant coffee in hot water and mix into creamed mixture.
- Add eggs one at a time, beat well, by hand, after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla, flour, and salt.
- DO NOT OVER BEAT!
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, cream butter and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar and mix in well on medium speed.
- Dissolve instant coffee in milk and add to mixture.
- Beat on high until light and fluffy.